March in the Garden
Featured in the March 2009 handbook.
• Complete rose pruning.
• Preventative spraying against fungal and insect pests.
• Divide and replant overcrowded perennials.
• Plant gladiolus corms.
• Plant out sweet peas raised earlier.
• Prune summer and late flowering clematis.
• Cut back ivy especially from around gutters
In the Greenhouse:
• Sow tomatoes for outside growing.
• Sow half hardy and tender annuals for summer bedding,
• Sow cucumbers, melons, and aubergines.
• Keep a careful eye on seedlings sown earlier - in particular watch for 'damping-off'