Last Minute Christmas Pudding
Featured in the November 2013 handbook.
- 1½ x 411g jars luxury mincemeat
- Grated zest of 1 large orange
- 2 tbsp. brandy
- 50g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp. mixed spice
- 50g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
-Icing sugar, a few fresh berries and a large fresh rosemary sprig (optional), to decorate
1.To prepare: Empty the mincemeat into a large bowl and, using a wooden spoon, stir in the grated orange zest and brandy. Sift the self-raising flour and spice together and stir into the mincemeat mixture with the breadcrumbs. Stir in the beaten egg. Spoon into a greased 900ml pudding basin, cover with a circle of pleated greaseproof paper, then a circle of foil and tie around the rim of the basin with string to secure. Loop the string over and tie at the other side to make handles.
2. To cook: Put the pudding basin on an upturned saucer in a large, deep pan, and pour in boiling water until it comes halfway up the side of the pudding basin. Cover and steam for 3 hours, topping up the water level occasionally. Alternatively, cover loosely with greaseproof paper and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes.
3. To serve: Turn out onto a serving plate, dust with icing sugar then decorate with fresh
berries and a sprig of rosemary, if using.