Autumn Tomato Chutney
Featured in the November 2013 handbook.
A good tomato chutney which takes some beating, and this version is great because it's not too sweet.
- 1kg ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 750g cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 375g light muscovado sugar
- 250g onions, chopped
- 250g raisins
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 tsp salt, half tsp ground ginger
- 350ml cider vinegar
Put all the ingredients into a large pan and bring to the boil over a medium heat. Stir occasionally until the sugar has dissolved. Boil the mixture, uncovered for about 45-50 minutes until the fruit is tender and thickened. Cool, then transfer the mixture to a sterilised jar and seal.