October in the Garden
Featured in the October 2010 handbook.
* Use your garden debris and leaves to start a compost pile.
* Plant trees and shrubs. Be sure to keep them well-watered, even through the winter.
* Make sure houseplants are brought back inside.
* Clear away dead foliage.
* Dry and Save seeds.
* Take cuttings of tender perennials.
* Pick and dry herbs for winter use.
* Remove green tomatoes from the plants ripen indoors
* Harvest winter squash once the vines die back, but definitely before a hard freeze.
* Continue harvesting fall crops like beets, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, kale and leeks.
* Clean and put away empty containers and garden ornaments.
* Clean and sharpen gardening tools.
* Clean bird feeders.
Enjoy the season.